Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Whimsical Birds

I received a new book for Christmas called "Birds - The Art of Ornithology", and has wonderful images of birds drawn/painted by different people over the years. I have always wanted to learn how to draw birds, and have drawn a couple over the past year, but this book has made me want to draw more. It isn't that I necessarily want to make them look realistic..... but rather I like to make them look a bit whimsical - which I think the bird above is... he is a bit "off" from real, and came from a couple of different bird images in my new book.

This is the head of a Cotton Pygmy Goose that, according to my book, is or was found in Asia and Northern Australia. Unfortunately it doesn't say if the bird still exists or if it is now extinct, as the picture I used as a reference was painted in the 1700's. The artwork in the book is lovely, and I believe will inspire me to draw more pictures of birds - but for me to find out more information about the birds, I will need to do some research.


2 comments:

  1. Very cool! I really like your bird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you are making and drawing, I'm glad I have discovered your blog. Happy New Year (2011) to you! Karen.

    ReplyDelete